Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-Mexican army confirms soldiers killed 5 civilians in border city, sparking clash between soldiers and residents -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-Mexican army confirms soldiers killed 5 civilians in border city, sparking clash between soldiers and residents
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 04:40:04
Mexico's Defense Department confirmed Tuesday that soldiers opened fire on Charles H. Sloana pickup truck in the violent northern border city of Nuevo Laredo over the weekend, killing five men and wounding a sixth.
The shooting ignited a clash Sunday between the soldiers and residents who came to the scene to protest. A seventh person in the vehicle was unharmed.
The department said in a statement that it was cooperating with civilian prosecutors investigating the deaths.
The statement said soldiers heard gunshots, and approached a pickup with no license plates and no lights in the pre-dawn hours of Sunday.
"Upon see the army troops, they (the occupants) accelerated in a brusque and evasive way," according to the statement.
The soldiers said the speeding pickup then crashed into a parked vehicle. Soldiers said that when the heard the crash, they opened fire. The army did not say whether they thought the bang was a gunshot.
According to a state crime scene report obtained Monday by The Associated Press, the soldiers said the pickup truck failed to obey their orders to stop.
The incident provoked a scuffle between soldiers and a large group of angry residents who believed the "victims were not armed and that there was no reason to arbitrarily kill them in this way," the activist group Human Rights Committee of Nuevo Laredo said in a statement. The group said it filed a complaint over the incident.
Videos of the ensuing confrontation were posted on social media, showing residents scuffling with soldiers on a street near the bullet-ridden pickup truck, with civilians throwing punches, knocking one soldier to the ground and repeatedly kicking him. Shots can be heard toward the end of that incident with people running, but it is not clear who fired them.
In a video statement, rights committee activist Raymundo Ramos claimed the soldiers fired at the crowd. He also said the dead youths had been returning from a night out at a club when they were killed.
The state crime scene report said that a Texas-issued identification document was found on one of the dead bodies. The U.S. Embassy could not immediately confirm whether any American citizens or residents were involved.
The report said three of the bodies were found in the pickup and two on the sidewalk nearby. Such reports usually note any weapons found at a crime scene, but no mention was made of any in this case.
Nuevo Laredo is dominated by the violent Northeast drug cartel, an offshoot of the old Zetas cartel. Soldiers and marines have frequently come under fire from heavily armed cartel gunmen in Nuevo Laredo.
Last year, the United States authorized the departure of families and some personnel at the U.S. consulate in Nuevo Laredo. The move came after drug cartel gunmen fired at the U.S. consulate building in the city, which is across the border from Laredo, Texas.
The gunfire came in retaliation for the arrest of drug gang leader Juan Gerardo Treviño, also known as "El Huevo," who U.S. authorities described as a founder and leader of the Northeast Cartel.
Treviño is reportedly the nephew of Miguel Angel Treviño, the imprisoned former leader of the Zetas. The U.S. State Department had offered a $5 million reward for Trevino Morales before he was captured in 2013.
The city has also been the scene of human rights violations by the military in the past.
In 2021, Mexico's navy said Monday it turned 30 marines over to civilian prosecutors to face justice in the cases of people who disappeared during anti-crime operations in Nuevo Laredo in 2014.
Marines were accused of rounding up supposed suspects, some of whom were not heard from again. Through 2018, dozens of people disappeared in Nuevo Laredo.
Under Mexican law, military tribunals can hear only cases that involve violations of military code. Offenses against civilians must be tried in civilian courts.
The department said the case had also been referred to military prosecutors for investigation of any possible violation of military codes.
- In:
- Mexico
veryGood! (25263)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Homebuyers’ quandary: to wait or not to wait for lower mortgage rates
- Where are they now? Key players in the murder trial of O.J. Simpson
- Congress is already gearing up for the next government funding fight. Will this time be any different?
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Amazon's 'Fallout' TV show is a video game adaptation that's a 'chaotic' morality tale
- Rhode Island transit chief resigns after he’s accused in a hit-and-run at a McDonald’s drive-thru
- Ralph Puckett Jr., army colonel awarded Medal of Honor for heroism during Korean War, dies at 97
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- Melrose Place Reboot Starring Heather Locklear, Laura Leighton and Daphne Zuniga Is in the Works
Ranking
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- OJ Simpson's Bronco chase riveted America. The memory is haunting, even after his death.
- Driver of electric Ford SUV was using automated system before fatal Texas crash, investigators say
- What American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson Got Right and Wrong About His Life
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- Dodgers Star Shohei Ohtani's Former Interpreter Facing Fraud Charges After Allegedly Stealing $16 Million
- Poland has a strict abortion law — and many abortions. Lawmakers are now tackling the legislation
- Water pouring out of 60-foot crack in Utah dam as city of Panguitch prepares to evacuate
Recommendation
Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
Gypsy Rose Blanchard Files Temporary Restraining Order Against Estranged Husband Ryan Anderson
Lawyers defending youth center against abuse allegations highlight former resident’s misbehavior
Louisiana lawmakers quietly advance two controversial bills as severe weather hits the state
Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
Deadly explosion at Colorado apartment building was set intentionally, investigators say
Dramatic video shows drowning and exhausted horse being rescued from Florida retention pond
Video shows rare 'species of concern' appear in West Virginia forest